Call for Artists
Due to last year’s successful exhibition, we have teamed up again with SCRAP-DC for our September show: Fallout Shelter: A Refuge for DC’s Scrap.
September 4- 29, 2012
We’re looking for artwork that would turn The Center for Green Urbanism into a “shelter” for a different kind of fallout: the city’s “debris” in any of its forms. Pieces will be selected based on how well the work fits the theme, with jurors paying attention to innovative uses of repurposed materials made into particularly high-quality art.
Center for Green Urbanism – Tubman-Mahan Gallery
3938 Benning Road NE Washington DC 20019
Apply by Monday 7/30 (online form to go live Wed. 6/27)
Artists notified week of 8/13
Drop off work Saturday 8/25, 11am-2pm [backup: Sun. 8/26]
Opening reception Fri. 9/7, 6:30-8:30 pm
Pick up work Sunday 9/30, 11am-2pm
$20 for up to 3 entries. Fees are non-refundable and due with each submission, or the
work will not be considered. Payment can be made through either the PayPal button on
our application form, or by check made payable to SCRAP-DC and sent to: SCRAP-DC Art Show/643 G St. SE Washington DC 20003.
Artists who live or work in DC, Maryland, or Virginia are invited to submit .jpg or .tif files (no larger than 8MB each) of their artwork for this juried show. Fine art and fine crafts are acceptable, provided they consist of at least 75% reclaimed material.
• Both 2- and 3-D submissions will be considered, though most of the space available is for wall-hung art. Artists provide their own pedestals if needed. Wall height is 11’ at themaximum. If your work is larger than 5’ in any dimension, we’d still love to work with you! Please contact us and we’ll gladly discuss options with you, including the possibility of an outdoor installation.
• have been created by the artist/s named on the application
• contain no copyrighted material or prints belonging to another party
• have not appeared before in a DC-area exhibition
• have no overt sexual, violent, or religious content
• All work must be made available for sale, with artists determining the prices. Commissions from any sales will be split with SCRAP-DC and The Center for Green Urbanism – Tubman-Mahan Gallery such that the artist will retain 65%.
• All accepted works must remain for the entirety of the show unless you specifically make other arrangements.
• Artists understand that their work is to be covered by their own insurance policies or are placed in the show “at risk.”
• All pieces must be ready for installation with proper hanging devices if required (no sawtooth or clip-on hardware accepted) and instructions where necessary.
• The Gallery reserves the right to photograph accepted works for publicity and educational purposes.
• The Gallery reserves the right to reject work that is not, in fact, made with a minimum of 75% reused/recycled materials; differs from or is inferior to the submitted images; is not properly framed and ready to hang or is unstable or otherwise dangerous.
• Items left after the pick-up date following the close of the exhibition are not the Gallery’s responsibility. There is a $10 storage fee per day for pieces left after this time. After one month, the art becomes the property of the Gallery.
• Submission of an entry constitutes understanding and agreement with all the conditions set forth here.
All of the work accepted into the show will be promoted on one or more of the websites affiliated with the hosting organizations. In addition, the items will be mentioned and possibly shown in a program that will be created for the show. The program will be made available in print and for electronic download.
In conjunction with the exhibition, SCRAP-DC and The Center for Green Urbanism-Tubman-Mahan Gallery will also hold a collection drive, at least one hands-on workshop, and an art materials swap. Stay tuned for more!